Notice of Some Stone Crosses
The following is from Notice of Some Stone Crosses by
James Drummond, Esq., R.S.A., F.S.A. Scot.:
List of Illustrations
No. 1 - Newbigging Market-Cross, Lanarkshire
In the "Memorie of the Somervills," written by Lord Somervill in 1679,
mention is made of a Cross having been erected in Carnwath by Hugh, Lord
Somervill, in 1516, bearing his own and his lady's name on it, with their arms.
"Neither was there any Crosse at Carnwath before that tyme, nor within the
baronie, save that of Newbigging, built by Sir Gaulter of Newbigging (he died
1380), or some of his predecessors. For that Crosse lies nether letters nor
other armes, save a double Crosse, resembling that which the Crosse dollers
bearea at present." The Cross at Carnwath has been replaced by a commonplace
No. 2 - Market-Cross at Ormiston, Haddingonshire
On this Cross there is a shield, but tho arms are completely defaced.
No. 3 - The Market-Cross of Melrose, Roxburghshire
The oldest part of this Cross is the octagonal shaft, on the upper part of
which are the shadowy remains of a shield and crest, or crozier. On the top of
this shaft is a rude square capital, surmounted by the unicorn rampant,
supporting between its fore legs the Scottish shield, displaying the lion,
within its double tressure, of the royal arms. On the front of this squared base
or capital there is the date 1645; on one side the remains of letters,
apparently EIH; on the other, a shield bearing
the Mell and Rose of Melrose, and below these, masons' compasses crossed. On the
back of the capital is cut a sun-dial. The date here given is apparently that of
repairs or alterations made by or under the superintendence of the person whose
initials are carved on it. There is a small plot of ground in the neighbourhood
of Melrose called the Corse Rig, or Cross Ridge, the rent of which is, or used
to be, devoted to keep the Cross in repair.
No. 4 - Doune Market-Cross, Perthshire
On the capital of this Cross are two shields of arms, the principal being
those of the earldom of Moray, the other the coat of arms of the Campbells. It
is surmounted by a lion, his fore paws resting on a shield charged with the
crest of the Earl of Moray. There are also two sundials on the capital.
No. 1 - The
Market-Cross of Inverkeithing, Fifeshire
The height of the pillar, capital, and unicorn, is 14 feet
6 inches; diameter of parapet wall, 16 feet 2 inches.
No. 2 - At Crieff,
in Perthshire there are two Crosses
The one, which is a memorial cross, was removed from the
neighbourhood, and placed within a railing in a central position of the town. It
is figured in the Spalding Club volume of Standing Stones. The other is,
however, the Market-Cross, and is said to have been erected by James Drummond,
Earl of Perth, who was Chancellor to James VII. From its timeworn appearance, it
looks much older than this date. On the capital has been the shield of arms of
the Drummonds, surmounted by a coronet. These are very indistinct. It is not in
its original position, but is placed near the Town House or jail. Close by it is
a set of very massive iron stocks. This, I think, is unique in Scotland.
No. 1 - The
Market-Cross of Edinburgh
As restored by Mr Bryce from the old engraving; the only
difference being, that instead of the very rude attempts at Roman heads, the
royal Scottish medallions from James I to Charles II are substituted, and the
City Arms are placed above the door of entrance. The capital is from the
original at Drum, while the character of gurgoyle is taken from one at Lixmount,
near Edinburgh, which formed part of the old Cross. The pillar was 20 feet high.
The diameter of the main building was 16 feet, its height 15 feet; the form
No. 2 - The
Market-Cross at Preston, Haddingtonshire
The height of the understructure of this beautiful Cross is
11 feet 6 inches, its diameter 15 feet. The height of the pillar or shaft and
unicorn is 20 feet.
1 - What the original Cross of Edinburgh may have been—the shaft, now at Drum,
springing from a stone basin, such as the one preserved at Abbotsford, which is
stated to have been also part of the Cross. From this wine would flow on high
days and holidays.
No. 2 - How it might be restored. The centre of the Exchange square, or
somewhere in the Parliament Square, behind St Giles’ Church, might be a suitable
position for such a restoration.
The Market-Crosses of Dundee (top), Aberdeen (bottom left) & Perth